November 16, 2005

The annoying hunt for a job

I hate, hate, hate, looking for a job. Every time I've had to do it, it's a royal pain in the tush.

The reason I'm looking for a job right now was because I left my old one for a number of reasons. One, I wanted to move in with the BF, who lives in a city 50 miles from where I worked. Not exactly a good commute given gas prices these days. Two, I didn't really like the job that much. I worked in a deli in a grocery store. Lack of respect, low wages and crappy work conditions will make a person want to leave. But, I could have put up with all of that for quite a while, mostly because I loved some of my customers so much it made it worth while.

Then along came Melody.

Don't let her name fool you. She's no where as nice as she sounds.

Melody and I were hired at the exact same time, and the only reason she started on a Monday, and me on a Tuesday, was because I needed medical clearence to start working, as I had been injured on my previous job. This girl and I had problems right from the get go. She's loud, obnoxious, rude and a general pain in the ass. She's worked food service quite a bit, so she thinks she knows everything. She was always "correcting" me on how I did things, talking down to me for not doing things "her" way, etc. We had basically been at each other's throats from day one.

This goes on for almost 6 moths. We managed to work together, but there was always tension between us. Then, it all finally came to a head. I was commenting on the schedule about how I got the weekend off (only my second one since working there), so I could spend it with my BF and my son for three days in a row. Melody blew up at me, saying how she was sick of the fact that I had "every single day off (you) want, and none of us ever do", which was total bullshit. Basically, the schedule is worked out a week in advance, and if you need a certain day off, or need to work a certain shift, then all you have to do is write it on the calender. 9 times out of 10 you'll get your request. She, however, never seemed to get this concept. She would, instead, bitch about how she never got the same day off, and that she always had to work around her work schedule, and none of the others (read, me) did. Now, granted, I always had Thursdays off, but I worked this out with the boss when I was interviewed, because I always have my son on Thursdays. So he knew in advance I could never work a Thursday, and it was alright with him.

Anyway, she got in my face and screamed at me for having any day I wanted off. I tried, again, explaining the way it was to her, but she got all in a tizzy and stared screaming about how I always get what I want, how it wasn't fair...etc. So I told her if she didn't like it she should quit. She yells, "fine, I quit!", throws her apron off and goes stalking off. Fine by me. She goes ranting around the store, looking for our manager so she can bitch to him about me "forcing her" to quit. She goes into the meat room and basically tells the guy that's working in there that "I'm going to punch (my) lights out." Then she comes storming past me and tells me "I would love to knock your block off right now." Of course, this has gotten me quite shook up by this point. Yelling about quiting is fine, but threatening me because of it?

Finally, she finds the manager and bitches to him about me. He of course then comes to me to get my side of things. So I tell him what happened, and inform him I will not work in a place that has employees threatening each other. His response? "How do you know she was serious? I'm sure it's just an idle threat." WTF?! What kind of response is that from an employer? To make a long story short, he basically said we need to learn to work together, because neither of us would be quiting. (He talked her into staying.) We just needed to learn to "get along".

Of course everyone was asking me what happened, because every employe in the store heard her going off about things. No one took her side, 'cause they all love me. ;) I told them all the truth, and everyone was shocked that she could be so damn stupid.

So at lunch I went to the snopes board, where I post frequently ;) , and posted about this problem. I really needed to get it off my chest, because I was pretty shaken up. That night, after work, I called my BF and told him about it too. After much thought, we decided I was going to leave the job, and move in with him a month earlier than we had planned on.

The next day was Sunday, and I didn't have to work with SuperBitch, but at the end of that day, I left my two weeks notice. I also told the kids I worked with, who were just shocked at her behavior, that I was quiting.

The next day my boss comes up to me and says "I got your notice. Are you sure this is what you want to do?" It was all I could keep from going "DUH!" in his face. I told him, yes, this was what I wanted to do. I later heard him chewing out SuperBitch because I was leaving. She was happy I was going, but pissed she was in trouble, again.

Oh well, not my problem.

So, I finally finished my two weeks of hell, and had many, many customers telling me how sorry they were that I was leaving, and wishing I would stay, and "can't you communte?", which was awesome, especially when SB could hear them! :D

So I moved, and since then, I've been looking for work. It's been a long damn two months, and I'm sick and tired of it all. I look through the classifieds online every other day, and hit the local retail places about once a week, seeing if anyone needs people. I am so sick of it. I've had two interviews in the two months. One I thought I nailed, but obviously didn't, and this other one I'm not so sure about. But, I'll keep trying.

I'm so tired of not being able to contribute anything to the household, and although he won't admit it, I'm sure it's a bit of a burden on the BF. *sigh*

I hope someone hires me very soon, I'm quite tired of this all. I'm about *this* close to applying to McDonalds, just for a job. I'd go apply at the local strip club, but they'd probably laugh me out of the door. ;)

No comments: