June 25, 2008

Spiders aren't the devil!

Alright, that's it...I have had it up to here with people and their stupid comments about spiders.

There is a thread on the boards about a spider protecting her babies. I swear, half the damn posts are things like "EW!" "Get the bug bomb" and "AHHHH! Get it off of me!"

Grow up, damn it.

1. It's a picture. It's not going to harm you in any way.
2. You're snopesters for crying out loud! Use some brains and realise that 99.9% of spiders are harmless if left alone.

I understand being creeped out by spiders, snakes, worms, etc. I am not squicked out or scared of any of those things, but I understand it. However...freaking out to the point that you want to kill it for no reason other than it's [i]there[/i] disgusts me. It's not only spiders, but I've seen this attitude towards snakes as well. And 99% of the snakes in the US are harmless too! One snopester even said something to the effect that he kills any snake "just in case". There's two venomous snakes in his state, and far more non venomous ones, so the odds of him actually coming across a venomous one is pretty low. Dumb ass.

Why is it I seem to be the only one who is not okay with this? If someone had the same attitude towards cute little puppy wuppies, they'd be jumped all over and called a monster.

Spiders are beautiful and beneficial to the planet. If I see one in my house I leave it alone so it can catch the flies that creep in during the summer. Where's the harm? Where does this blood lust come from?

There are scary, horrible critters on this planet that I think most of us can agree we could do without. Fleas, ticks, mosquitos, etc. But why are spiders and snakes among those on some people's lists?

I don't get it.

2 comments:

llewtrah said...

I like spiders. I go out of my way to avoid killing them. Heck I even have unsightly cobwebs in some places becasue the cobweb spider is still using the web

Tif C Clark said...

I agree!! Spiders ROCK!! I don't care to touch them, but if they can take on the local swarms of hornets, I'll take a spider any day :) I understand that they all have a purpose, but why to Hornets have to be so stinking mean??