April 28, 2008

Friday, December 14, 2007 ~ OMG!! I got a job!!

I am beyond excited. I am writing this from work! That's right, I gots me a job! And not just any job. A real, grown up job!

I left the Home Depot back in September, because I was informed that I wasn't "allowed" to take a second weekend off in one month. Now the only reason I ever asked for a weekend off was usually because it was to spend time with the BeanSprout. This time I had requested time off for our usual weekend, plus time to spend with him for his birthday, Thanksgiving and Christmas. They denied all three requests, telling me that I would have to pick the one I wanted more. Sorry, but you don't just tell a mom she can't see her kid. Especially since I see him so rarely as it is! So, I handed in my keys and walked out at the end of my shift.

I took a week or so for time to myself, and then actively started looking for a job. I submitted resume after resume. I filled out application after application. I managed to get a few interviews, late last month, but not a single job offer. Needless to say, I was getting very frustrated.

Fast forward to this Monday. chillas and I got home from a small shopping trip when his phone rang. It was a gal named Suzanne, and she was looking for me. Turns out she's from a job placement agency that I had applied to way back in the beginning of October. She wanted to know if I was still looking for work. I told her I was. She asked if I would be interested in a receptionist job with a company called Quest Software. Of course I was! So she gathered some basic information, and told me she was going to forward my resume to the HR, then call the person and discuss it with her, and she'd call me back.

So we sit around waiting for the phone to ring again. Half an hour later it does. Suzanne says to me the most beautiful words ever: "How would you like to start tomorrow?" Very calmly I said yes, but the second I was off the phone with her, I started jumping around the house, whooping and screaming like a mad woman.

So I wandered into this company Tuesday morning, nervous as all get out, and it turns out that I think I may have landed practically a dream job. I'm still in shock, even three days later. The gal who I replaced actually got promoted, so she spent her time training me for a couple of days. She said she was so impressed that I caught on so quickly. By the time the first day was over, I was already a whiz on the phones, and was mailing packages off to the main office. Yesterday she was so happy with me; she moved all of her stuff out, and into her new cube. Which means the desk/receptionist area is officially mine now! I've been spending my down time organizing things just the way I want them, and cleaning out junk that doesn't belong here anymore. New receptionist, new rules.

I have a work email address, access to here and my personal email, which is nice, and all the free coffee and fruit I could want!

The hours are perfect. Monday through Friday, 8 to 5. Which means I have every weekend off to spend with chillas, and no trouble getting time off to spend with the BeanSprout! I might even be able to see him more often now. The pay is good too. And after I work 520 hours with the temp company, I will have a chance to be hired on as a permanent employee. And with Susan's backup (she's the gal I replaced), I'm sure to get a good recommendation to be kept on. Even the main boss's admin likes me and says I'm doing great. Suzanne told me that on my first day, she got three different emails from people, telling them how great they thought I was. Talk about an ego boost!

This is such a huge weight off my shoulders. I can't even begin to express how happy I am about this. I couldn't have asked for a better job if I tried. And the really cool thing, chillas now works about a mile away from me, so we can car pool and get together for lunch from time to time.

I am over the moon about this!

I wanted to thank everyone who helped me with my resume, and the folks who've been sending me vibes and good wishes. I know in my heart that you guys made a difference. Thank you all so much. I love my "imaginary" friends.

Cookies and margaritas for everyone, on me!!!!111!!!

*jumps around the room, squealing and doing the Snoopy dance*

No comments: