April 28, 2008

The joys of the willfully ignorant

So I receive this random email from a "friend" the other day:

A friend of mine sent this to me. It is definitely food for thought.


According to The Book of Revelations the anti-christ is:
The anti-christ will be a man, in his 40s, of MUSLIM descent, who will deceive the nations with persuasive language, and have a MASSIVE Christ-like appeal....the prophecy says that people will flock to him and he will promise false hope and world peace, and when he is in power, will destroy everything. Is it OBAMA??
I STRONGLY URGE each one of you to repost this as many times as you can! Each opportunity that you have to send it to a friend or media outlet...do it!

I refuse to take a chance on this unknown candidate who came out of nowhere.


My reply:

Do yourself a favor. You're supposed to be a teacher, right? Try educating yourself.

Barack Obama is *NOT* a Muslim. Yes, his father was, but he is NOT. He is a Christian.

He did not "come out of nowhere". He served in the as Illinois state senator for several years, and is now the state Representative.

Of course he has appeal...he's smart, charismatic, and actually gives a damn about fixing this country from the crap mess that Bush has put us in in the last 8 years.

The fact that you are willing to pass on this tripe without even bothering to research is disgusts me.


http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/415/

Her oh so mature response?:
Whatever!!

Me again:
Nice and mature response. So being ignorant and immature is preferable to finding out the facts? Whatever indeed.

Here again:
Ofcourse you would choose to believe what the media says when in fact you should research his past. Try the minister he new for 20 years.... You call him a good christian????????? Look in the pictures of his office, do you see an American flag?????? I don't... You need to get your head out of the sand and your ass and do the math your self.... And don't E-mail me anymore.... :(

Ah yes, teh debil...the liberal media. Uh huh.

Me: I don't believe the "media", I believe the FACTS. So he doesn't have an American flag hanging in his office? And? Do you have one plastered all over your work place and home? One planted waving freely in your yard? Wear one every day? That doesn't make you a patriot, it makes you a zealot.

You're basing a man on a pastor he knew? One he has denounced?

He's a better Christian than you. I've never heard him say someone should be strung up and left to die because he or she said something negative about a "soldier".

Grow up, Cris, seriously.

I will gladly never email you again. Your kind of ignorant bigotry is something I do not need in my life.

I feel sorry for your children and the ones you teach. Oh the lies you are putting into their little heads.

And then I blocked her. Mind you, this is the same woman who, in my "Why Don't I Learn" blog, was the one who thought that I should be "strung up and left to die" after the little ex-husband lie machine got going on the LHS page. She "apologized" to me online after that, and tried to send out an olive branch, but it's obvious she hasn't gotten past her high school days. I see that maturity level matches.

Ah, the willfully ignorant. They're dangerous, but at least they're good for a laugh from time to time.

Oh, and two days later, using her husband's account she emails me again with something along the lines of: "I don't have time to debate this with you." Debate? Huh? That's like debating water is wet. Puhleeze. Oh, and of course snopes has a page on it now. ;) http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/antichrist.asp

No comments: